Monday, February 20, 2012

The Girls From Alcyone by Cary Caffrey

Title: The Girls From Alcyone
Author: Cary Caffrey
Genre: Science Fiction Romance
Publisher: Tealy Books
Rating: 4.75 stars
Rater: Pippa



Plot Summary:

Sigrid and Suko are two girls from the impoverished and crime-infested streets of 24th century Earth. Sold into slavery to save their families from financial ruin, the girls are forced to live out their lives in service to the Kimura Corporation, a prestigious mercenary clan with a lineage stretching back long before the formation of the Federated Corporations.

Known only to Kimura, the two girls share startling secret—a rare genetic structure not found in tens of millions of other girls.

But when their secret becomes known, Sigrid and Suko quickly find themselves at the center of a struggle for power. Now, hunted by men who would seek to control them, Sigrid and Suko are forced to fight for their own survival, and for the freedom of the girls from Alcyone.

The good:
Despite the number of years this story is set over at the beginning, it's fast paced but full-bodied. The characters are enthralling, the technology intriguing and detailed without being overbearing and slowing the story down, and the descriptions vivid. It's also a lot of fun, with some wonderful humour amongst the action. The romance in it is sweet and touching, even in the bedroom scenes. You can't help but empathize with the two main characters, and while the story is complete in its own way, there are threads left hanging for a sequel (which I'm now awaiting impatiently!).

The bad:
About the only flaw in this for me was a couple of instances of head-hopping (something that drives me insane despite the fact I've been guilty of it myself) but not enough that it pulled me out of the story - it just niggled a fraction.

In sum:
This is an exciting, action-packed, well-thought out scifi story with a sweet romance at its heart. Hurry up with the sequel!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Pippa! Now I can go read this book. BTW-- head hopping is the thing I hate most in books and it always stands out. I'm glad you said it was tolerable in Caffrey's book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. I think head-hopping is a major peeve for some people even though I'm sure we've all done it at some point - I know I have. But it was a very, very fleeting occurrence.

    ReplyDelete